Saturday, December 30, 2006

Top Books of 2006

As many of you know, I've been sending out an annual restrospective of the books I've read and what I've liked for the past few years. This year, I've been keeping a blog of the books I read and reviewing each one. Starting now, I'll be keeping the blog up to date (sort of) throughout the year, so you can always see what I've read recently and what I've thought of it.

Best Wishes for a great 2007. As always, please send along your recent favorites, either posted here or emailed to me.

This year was a strange one for me for books. I read a lot that I liked at the beginning, and many at the end, and very little between March and October that I liked. Nevertheless, here goes:

Best Book: Plainsong - Ken Haruf
Runner Up: All the Names - Jose Saramago

My other favorites, in the order read:
Family History - Dani Shapiro
Moo - Jane Smiley
Eight Months on Ghazzah Street - Hilary Mantel
Oh The Glory of it all - Sean Wilsey
More, Now, Again Elizabeth Wurtzl
A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian - Marina Lewycka
The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji
Girl in Hyacinth Blue - Susan Vreeland
Truth and Beauty - Ann Patchett
Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safron Foer
Lighthousekeeping - Jeanette Winterson
Queen of the South - Arturo Perez-Reverte
The Virgin of the Small Plains - Nancy Pickard
Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Dai Sijie
The Bookseller of Kabul - Asne Seierstad

No comments: