Monday, January 01, 2018

Top Books of 2017

Hello readers!

This year I read 68 books – yes, 68.  I’ve learned how to read on the train during my commute, which involves some complex life hacks (like keeping my finger in the book when switching subway lines) and some reading glasses (yikes!), and it’s added about an hour of reading a day to my life. What a gift.

Here are my favorites. Each book is linked to my review, as well as to Amazon (“AMZ”):

Given the political climate and tragic resurgence of racism, sexism, classism, and every other “ism” there is, I read several books with the goal of staying angry, and better understanding what is going on. The best of these were by patriarchy-dismantling women, including Jessica Valenti’s Sex Object: A Memoir (AMZ), Rebecca Solnit’s Men Explain Things to Me (AMZ), and Roxanne Gay’s Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body (AMZ). Charles Blow’s account of his life growing up poor and closeted in rural Louisiana, and his triumphant reclaiming of his story, was excellent: Fire Shut Up in My Bones (AMZ). I also enjoyed Tales of Two Americas: Stories of Inequality in a Divided Nation (AMZ), a compilation of fiction, essays, and poetry about the state of our country.

In case this presidency does end in apocalypse, zombie-themed or not, I am prepared, having read The Girl with All the Gifts (AMZ) (zombies, but also human connection), Seveneves (AMZ) (saga of humanity set in outer space), and American War (AMZ) (a near-future where the North and South go to war over energy). They were three excellent post-apocolyptical stories, coincidentally (?) all with female protagonists.

I read some other less political non-fiction too.  Without a Map (AMZ) was a beautiful memoir by a women raised in a religious family who gives up a baby for adoption. I finally got to Eat, Pray, Love (AMZ), which I don’t know why I resisted for so long – if you’re the other person who has not read it, go for it. Lab Girl (AMZ)was a tough memoir about a young scientist. I discovered Jenny Rosenstrach and her memoir/cookbook Dinner: A Love Story (AMZ) about family meals was lovely (and realistic). And on the worst days this year, I turned to Anne Lamott, most notably her Grace (Eventually) (AMZ) essays, whose reflections on George Bush seem both quaint and relevant.

The fiction I read was across a wide variety of topics and themes. In March, I joined the Book of the Month Club, and now I eagerly await the 1st of each month, when the new selections come out. Many of these wonderful books came from there.

Some of my favorite fiction this year was about families and relationships. The Unseen World (AMZ) was probably my favorite, set in Boston, about a young woman who unravels her father’s life story after he becomes ill.  All the Ugly and Wonderful Things (AMZ) (Book of the Month Club’s best book of 2016) was both sweet and challenging, while Boy, Snow, Bird (AMZ) was a clever retelling of a fairy tale with a racial twist. 

The Nix (AMZ) purported to be about a young man who beings to investigate his mother’s anti-Vietnam revolutionary past, but was really more of a lovely exploration of characters and relationships. Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley (AMZ) explored a special father-daughter relationship, and its complex history.

The Blinds (AMZ) was a fun ride, which I’m waiting to see adapted into a mini-series, about a town where criminals and witnesses live with their memories wiped out, and Dark Matter (AMZ) was a modern, fast-paced adaptation of the age-old multi-verse theme. Lots of people read A Man Called Ove (AMZ) this year, and I too fell for his misanthropic antics. And I also enjoyed J.K. Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy (AMZ), a major drama in a small-town setting.

I also enjoyed some historical fiction. Isabel Allende’s seminal The House of the Spirits (AMZ) captivated me with its three-generation saga of a family with just enough magical realism. I couldn’t put The Underground Railroad (AMZ) down, rooting for the protagonist so strongly. I finally got around to reading The Glass Castle author Jeannette Walls’ Half Broke Horses (AMZ), technically fiction, but very much based on the author’s family history in the wild west of the early 20th century.

Finally, I delighted in The Women in the Castle (AMZ), about the relationships formed among the women whose husbands were involved in an unsuccessful plot to assassinate Hitler, as well as Kindred (AMZ), a beautiful story about a woman who time-travels to a plantation during slavery, and her relationship with a young boy there. It’s not nearly as weird as it sounds. It’s more Piercy than Gabaldon.

Well, that’s it for this year. Happy 2018, and as Neil Gaiman says, “I hope you read some fine books.”  If you do, tell me about them.

Sheryl


PS: To see all the books I read this year, you can visit my blog or find me on Goodreads. I cleaned up my “want to read” list, then the end-of-year booklists came out again so there goes that, but you can see what may be up next on Goodreads too.

No comments: