Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Top Books of 2007

This was a great year for me for books! Writing full-length reviews of each book I read (with a few Robert Ludlum exceptions) made me like many books more than I would have otherwise. It was a great way to really "engage with text" and think more about each book. You can click on "Recommended" on the right to see a list of the ones that at the time I thought were notable. Below is a list (in no particular order) of the creme de la creme. Sci-fi played a prominent role in what I read. I am clearly obsessed with Michael Lewis.

I've begun to experiment with the blog this month, posting more general thoughts and ideas about books and booklists, not just book reviews. Let me know what you think. Never fear, there will always be a "Best Books" list independent of the format of the blog.

Fiction (in descending order):

Rollback by Robert Sawyer
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
What is the What by Dave Eggers
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion
Timeline Michael Crichton
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
When Madeline was Young by Jane Hamilton
Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb
The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean

Nonfiction (in no particular order):

Blind Side by Michael Lewis
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
Moneyball by Michael Lewis
Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn

No comments: