Tuesday, April 11, 2006

How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers

First, let it be known that I am a huge Dave Eggers fan. Both A Staggering Work... and You Shall Know Our Velocity are favorites of mine, and I enjoy all his commentary and meta-style of writing. I even find Eggers clever-er and therefore more enjoyable than, say, David Foster Wallace. However, this book of short stories was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps part of what I like about Eggers is the velocity (npi) his books crank up to....the way that you can be reading for 10-15 pages not realizing it is all an aside. Certainly a short story does not allow for this style, and hence my disappointment. That aside, some of the stories still enchanted, and a few will stick in my mind for a while. But, it was not classic Eggers.

No comments: