Friday, February 08, 2008

Senator's Wife by Sue Miller

Sue Miller is typically one of my go-to authors when I don't know what to get at the library or when I haven't read anything I liked recently. I noticed she had a new book out so I decided to try it. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with this one.

The story follows a young newlywed couple (Nathan and Meri) who moves into a two-family home. Their neighbors are a well-known, well-liked senator and his wife (Tom and Delia). While the Nathan is impressed by their famous neighbor, Meri (suddenly pregnant and lonely) gets to know Delia and learns that their marriage is not as happy as it would seem. Delia continues to support Tom publicly, but their private relationship is far more complicated.

I think the story is supposed to contrast an old marriage with a young one, and to humanize the "stand by your man" strategy practiced by political wives today. Instead, I thought the book was preachy, slow-moving, and the characters one-dimensional. While there is a stunning climax, it did not make up for the entire book's dull pace.

No comments: