Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Beginning Infinite Jest

So I am trying to commit to this Infinite Summer program on the web where a set of smart people help me read David Foster Wallace's 1000+ page Infinite Jest this summer. I am intimidated by the book. I am sad to lose some of the time I would otherwise spend reading other stuff. I am concerned that I don't know enough about Hamlet. I am heartened that Jason Kottke says I don't need to worry about the Hamlet stuff. I am loathe to get one of the Infinite Jest readers' guides that is recommended because the 1000+ pages is enough to worry about. Having started the book (barely) I am impressed by the density of his writing - DFW does not waste a single word. And I keep thinking, what the heck is he doing?? with all his characters.

That's a lot of feelings for being on page 37 of a book I am kind of worried is going to ruin my summer.

1 comment:

Webster said...

As a fan of the blog and all that lies therein...I will offer my infinite support for reading infinite jest. Lean on me!