Saturday, April 10, 2010

Next by Michael Crichton

This book had been sitting on my bookshelf for a while; I think I bought it at Costco a few years back.  The book is about several storylines all relating to genetics.  On major plotline was about the legality of patenting genes, another was about hybrid humans and animals, and another was about using DNA testing to assess someone's propensity towards certain diseases.


Like most Michael Crichton books, this was a quick and easy read.  Crichton moved among the storylines often (and there were a lot of them) which I did find a little hard to follow in some places.  But overall I liked the stories and was invested in most of the characters.

This was obviously a political book for Crichton - after the story he spent about 10 pages suggesting a set of policies and laws that were necessary to ensure that genes and DNA weren't misused.  Fine airport read.

No comments: