Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Not Me by Michael Lavigne

Ruth recommended this novel to me and I was immediately intrigued by the plot.  A man discovers that his elderly father, known throughout his life as an activist and philanthropist in the Jewish community, may actually have been a Nazi.

The story held my attention - it alternated between the son's life in the present, and the father's diaries which outlined his past.  I was very interested in the story portrayed in the diaries, not just the questions around identity, but also the depiction of Israel in its infancy. 

The present story, however, was less interesting.  The narrator is a comedian, and that self-depreciating and sardonic personality that I associate with stand-up comedians was apparent.  I did not really "like" him or find his character's relationships realistic. 

One theme I came away from the book with was that family secrets always haunt the next generation, even if they are so secret they are unknown.  I got the impression that the narrator's failed and stalled relationships were inevitable based on his father's past.

Overall, this story was unusual and creative - just not sure the execution was as good as a good editor could have provided.

No comments: