Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

I have been saving this sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for vacation, so when we left for Belize I started it on the plane.  While the first book in this series had a raft of characters to develop and describe, this book focused on a subset of those characters.  In particular, this book is really about Lisbeth Salander: she becomes more obviously the central character than she was in the first book.

Salander begins the book more balanced and adjusted than we've seen her in the past.  She deals with real estate problems and updates her appearance.  She does ultimately kick ass and take names, but before that happens, her character has matured and we get to know her better, including some detail about her early life.  We also follow Mikael Blomkvist, the publisher from the first book, who decides to publish an expose on the sex trafficking industry.  Blomkvist and Salander begin the book in unrelated storylines but ultimately (not without Salander's hacking skills) their paths cross again.

I enjoyed this book even more than I did Dragon Tattoo.  I thought the characters were more compelling and the story easier to follow.  I also appreciated Larsson's continued themes around exposing abuse of women as a major social problem.  I can't wait for my next vacation to read the final book in the trilogy.

No comments: