Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Glister by John Burnside

This book made several of the year-end lists in 2010 so I picked up a copy.  The premise was compelling – a town built near a major chemical plant starts experiencing strange disappearances of its young men.  I expected it to be an eco-thriller, and I was under the impression it had a supernatural bent.





Well, it may have started out that way.  The writing was good and the characters interesting.  The narration passed from one character to another, not linearly.  However, at some point I just totally lost track of what was going on.  Those of you who read this blog regularly know that this is not a normal occurrence for me.  But Burnside took a left and I kept going straight and then the book ended. 

Certain online reviews expressed a similar confusion.  Can’t say I would recommend this book, and I feel cheated out of what I thought it would be.

No comments: