Saturday, September 17, 2011

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I had noticed this book, the first in a series of seven, in Barnes and Noble a few months ago.  I go back and forth on historical fiction, so I wasn't sure if I'd like it.  Given its length (850 pages) I decided it'd be a good vacation read.

The story starts with Claire, a young combat nurse, in 1945 - right after the war.  She has just reunited with her husband and they are enjoying a holiday in Scotland.  One day, while sightseeing in the area, she stumbles into a mysterious formation and suddenly finds herself in 18th century Scotland.  Landing in the middle of a set of kingdoms that is at war, she is suspected of being a British spy.  The balance of the book follows Claire's story as she figures out how to survive there, and if there's a way to get back home. 

I loved this book and could not put it down.  I am so looking forward to reading the next several books in this series.  This was not a serious book, though.  It was a quick read and had less historical content than I expected, although I believe the extensive details about her surroundings were accurate.  I would also comment that the lascivious nature of some of the scenes made it perfect beach reading!

No comments: