Monday, December 26, 2011

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Yuck.

This book was the first pick of a new book club I just joined. By the author of Devil in the White City, this book is about Ambassador Dodd, the American ambassador to Germany.

I guess the story of his being the ambassador is interesting enough. Considered by many to be underqualified, he moves his family to Germany in the 1930's, refusing many of the benefits in housing and transportation that are offered an ambassador. His daughter, estranged from her husband in the U.S., becomes well-known in German society and I can't describe her as anything less juicy than a hussy. She sleeps with Nazis, Fascists, and several notable writers, seemingly blind to the potential damange it could do to her father's career.

I really disliked the writing style: it felt like I was reading something really dry for school. Occassionally, Larson would foreshadow something very deliberately, but I never appreciated the payoff. I know his previous books were well-liked, but I'm not sure if I'd try them.

No comments: