Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Year and Six Seconds by Isabel Gillies

Two summers ago, I couldn't put down Gillies first memoir, Happens Every Day, which chronicled the abrupt demise of her first marriage.  When I heard she had written a sequel about finding love a second time I looked forward to reading it.

This book picks up where the last one left off - Gillies is arriving in Manhattan, two toddlers in tow, to move in with her parents.  The first half of the book was similar to her first book; Gillies remains charming, modest, and honest.  I cheered for her when she accomplished victories like getting her son into a preschool mid-year, and I felt for her when she stumbled, like when she misunderstood her husband and thought he wanted to get back together.

However I didn't really enjoy the end of the book. About two-thirds of the way through, after a series of unsuccessful dates she meets a friend-of-a-friend named Peter and immediately falls in love.  In what seems like just months (I think that's true, actually), she is married to Peter and joining their families together.  I don't know if it was because I thought it was too fast, or Gillies thought it was too fast, but I fould the writing about this part of her life hurried, and defensive.  She breezes through the decision-making, the therapy, and the new life in a way that seemed unsustainable.

Hopefully her new marriage will be successful and long.  I'd enjoy reading another book by her about her adventures in blending her family with Peter's.

No comments: