Saturday, June 02, 2012

My Life on a Plate by India Knight

I really had a good time reading this book.  Poor India Knight - I probably won't be the only reader who thinks of this book as "as if Bridget Jones grew up, got married, and had kids" but maybe that's just because they're both British and I'm not.  I think of that as a compliment.

The story follows Clara, who is married, mother of two, has consistently been putting on weight as she gets older, and whose mother won't let her forget it.  As she deals with her marriage, her children, and her complex extended family, she survives by eating, drinking, and becoming reasonably impervious to humiliation. 

At some points I laughed out loud, some others I cringed, but each night I couldn't wait to get into bed to see what would happen next.  There is, in particular, an interview Clara conducts with a dancer that I don't think I'll ever forget. 

Thanks to Web's Aunt Christie for stuffing it into my purse last summer.

No comments: