Friday, February 22, 2013

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

I usually don't like to read so many books by the same author so close together, but I was 9 months pregnant, perhaps a little grumpy, and the idea of another gothic-style mystery cheered me up.

Like the other two novels of hers that I read, this book takes place in a few time periods.  In one, a young girl witnesses her mother commit an act of violence.  Fifty years later, she is at her mother's deathbed and decides to investigate that incident from her childhood - which takes the reader back to London - WWII.  As she unravels the intrigue behind her mother's first love and famous neighbor, she uncovers family secrets and a dramatic story.

I liked this book a lot.  There were some good plot twists, interesting characters, and a great job of moving between the different stories.  There are ways in which Morton's books share similarities, but they never fail to keep me engaged, and I never guess the twists that she puts in the stories.


No comments: