Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story


The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story
The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by Lily Koppel

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This book was ok. I thought it would be interesting to read about the wives of the first astronauts, and I guess it was, but the book didn't hit it out of the park.

In fact, I was surprised to read at the end of the book that the author had interviewed some of the wives, because the tone of the book was one of distance. I was expecting to read more about the women's thoughts and feelings. In the book, there is a lot of talk of the Life Magazine reporters who follow the women around, and yet I didn't find the book's depiction of their lives much more nuanced than that.

What I did enjoy was reading about the NASA missions. It was cool to read about the first orbits of the earth, then trip to the moon. I was transported back to the 1960's when this was all occurring, and appreciated learning about the events as they happened, rather than as history. I had no idea that astronauts and their families were so high profile as to be "hanging out" with President and Ladybird Johnson.

I think I would have enjoyed a book about the first few space missions more than this one with the "wives" angle.



View all my reviews

No comments: