Friday, May 05, 2017

Review: Every Kind of Wanting

Every Kind of Wanting Every Kind of Wanting by Gina Frangello
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A new friend Liz recommended this to me, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The premise seemed unnecessarily complicated and "Portlandia"-ish: when a gay couple decide to have a baby, they use an egg from one of their sisters, and then a gestational carrier who is an old friend of the other's from high school. The book jacket described this as the raising of a "community baby," but I found it to be much much more.

What I liked most about this book was the characters. There are four incredibly well-developed characters, each with backstories and motives. Then there are at least five other characters with their own histories and stories. This mastery of character development probably most reminded me of This is Where I Leave You.

I did enjoy the story as well, but this was one of those book that was more about the journey than the destination.

View all my reviews

No comments: