Saturday, July 22, 2017

Review: Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a really interesting and honest read. I decided to read something by Roxane Gay because I've recently read both Lindy West, Jessica Valenti and Rebecca Solnit, and wanted to continue rounding out my modern feminist exposure.

This book is a memoir by Gay about her life being overweight - "morbidly obese" as her doctor tells her at one point. She talks about trauma from her teenage years and how it triggered her to have an (over)eating disorder that has followed her and shaped her entire life. It reminded me in several sections of Appetites: Why Women Want in its blending of memoir and social commentary on women's inability to both express and get the things they want. It also helped me find compassion for overweight people; her descriptions of what it is like to be overweight and sitting in an airplane seat, a subway seat, a folding chair, was harrowing and definitely changed my point of view on it.

Brava, Roxane, a beautiful life to share.

View all my reviews

No comments: