Saturday, December 08, 2007

Indignity

I saw a book in Barnes and Noble called, How to Talk About Books you Haven't Read.

I am - uncharacteristically - speechless. I am also determined to comment on this book, even though I have not read it. Yes, that is ironic.

What the heck? There is no way that I would want to talk about a book I haven't read. I also have no interest in talking to someone about a book they haven't read. I can barely find anyone to talk to about books we both have read. Most people want to talk about the ending, or the main character. So few people want to talk about the the writing itself, or of (for example) the symbolism of minor characters. If I wanted to talk to people about books they haven't read, I'd just go back to one of the book clubs I've tried.

I have the same feeling about this book that I do about favorite books of mine showing up on the discount table. Yuck.

No comments: