Sunday, January 27, 2008

Challenging Book Swap

So this weekend we were supposed to get together with three other couples for an annual holiday dinner. (Yeah, scheduling is tough.) Each year, we usually assign one recipient to each attendee to keep the gift exchange simple.

This year I proposed that we each give a paperback book to our recipient. The book had to tell the recipient something about the giver that they didn't know. I thought it would be fun because we know each other - to differing degrees - reasonably well.

Web and I headed over to Barnes and Noble to find gifts and realized I had given out a difficult assignment! There are not that many things about me that people don't know. I have been cooking a lot more lately, but since I was planning to pull off dinner for eight from scratch, I didn't think that fact was surprising enough. I've had a massive obsession with all things football this season, but we host a Superbowl party each year, so I didn't think that would be that interesting. Webster had similarly difficult time. He found that most of the interesting tidbits about him don't make for great books. For example, he has a secret passion for ping-pong. And he likes to eat all the items on his plate at dinner each time he chews on a forkfull.

I think we chose good books in the end but I left feeling a little disappointed that I wasn't more interesting. Webster said he thinks I'm plenty interesting and just open with my friends about what I'm into.

Our dinner was postponed due to several attendees' kids getting sick, but I'll post all the books and their explanations once we reschedule and celebrate.

No comments: