Thursday, April 10, 2008

Humans by Robert Sawyer

Humans is the second book of the "Parallax Trilogy" Sawyer wrote about a parallel Neanderthal world that contacts our world. I usually wait a bit longer between books of the same author but I could not wait to read this continuation. I was not disappointed.

Sawyer continued to build his vast social commentary, this time focusing on reproduction, environmental issues, and criminal justice. At the same time, he draws some interesting conclusions about the fossil record and what we know about evolution. While it is not entirely clear that the fantastical nature of the Neanderthal world could have been derived from the differences between humans (ok, Robert, I'll call them homo sapiens) and Neanderthals, I'll let Sawyer chalk it up to the randomness inherent in the creation of multiple worlds because I liked this book so much. He created a great pair of universes and a believable love story to boot.

I do not know how long I will go without breaking down to read the finale, Hybrids.

No comments: