Friday, April 25, 2008

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

I really liked this book. It is a fictionalized account of a love affair that took place between Frank Lloyd Wright (the architect) and Mamah Cheney, a client of his. The book is set in the early 20th century, and takes place in both the United State and Europe.

While this book is most identifiably a love story, it also explored how pervasive Wright's opinions about design were in his personality. I enjoyed learning more about Wright, although I am tempted to read a biography of him soon to learn what is really true about him and what was imagined by Horan.

The book also tackled themes of feminism, as Mamah gets a job translating essays by Ellen Key (Swedish feminist) into English. In doing so, Mamah struggles with how early 20th century feminism viewed her leaving her husband (ok) and children (bad).

What I liked most about the book was how much the author was able to teach me about Wright and about feminism without my noticing.

No comments: