Monday, September 15, 2008

The Gravediggers Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates

I had never read anything by Joyce Carol Oates which is kind of strange, given how prolific she is and how much of a staple American author she is. I picked this one up for our trip to Aruba, but just got to it now.

Reading this book was ok, I liked it but did not love it. In retrospect, however, I think it's really well-written with an exceptionally good character portrait of the main character Rebecca. Rebecca is the daughter of immigrants who flee WWII and end up in upstate New York. Her father, a mean, unhappy man, becomes the town gravedigger. His personality haunts her for her entire life, including her choice of partner and style of raising of her son.

It was not easy to read in that some terrible things happen to Rebecca, and Oates does a good job of creating tension. But it is a memorable book and I'd be interested in reading other books by Oates.

No comments: