Saturday, September 20, 2008

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This is the last of the fiction books I had bought for Aruba. It was also one of the greatest books I had read in a while. Every now and then I miss a book that America loves (for example Life of Pi) and this is one of those.

This book is narrated by an old man in a nursing home. He is watching a circus get set up in his town and recalling his life in as a worker in a circus during the Great Depression. I loved the story and how well it was written. I knew nothing about circus life and felt like it was reading about life in a different country. I also appreciated learning about life during the Great Depression. Clearly, Gruen did an incredible amount of research on these topics. Finally, the way the past and present were woven together was better than in any fiction I've read recently.

Highly recommended!

No comments: