Monday, January 19, 2009

Girls Weekend - two new bookstores

Away this weekend with three of my best girl pals to celebrate Jamie's birthday.



As a pit stop on the way up north, we stopped at Seasoned Booksellers in Rochester, VT. http://www.seasonedbooks.com/ Cute old mansion, crammed with used and new books only loosely organized, clean bathroom, and nice coffee shop with homemade baked goods - Pure heaven. I could have spent the entire weekend there.



Later in the weekend I realized I didn't like the book I had brought with me (Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra which I will try again in the future but just don't have patience for right now). At 4:58 we flew into Tempest Book Shop in Waitsfield after a day of shopping and before Apres-ski (er...Apres-shop?) My friend Sara loyally declared we were having a "book emergency" and the proprieter was kind enough to let me scan a few piles of books until I found something I wanted - Half a Yellow Sun, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, about Nigeria. So far so good. The Tempest (sadly, website-less although wifi-enabled in the store) was clean, bright, and had a lovely model train hoisted from the ceiling.



Though not a bookstore, it was also wonderful to reunite with Laura, whose comments on books are always thoughtful and eye-opening. She gives me hope that having kids does not preclude reading!

No comments: