Friday, January 30, 2009

The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart

Terri, a new reader of my blog, recommended this book as one of her favorite 13 books (she couldn't stop at a top ten - familiar!) It is the story of a young woman who has been the caretaker for an old man who dies. The last thing he leaves for her to do is to re-connect with an old friend with whom she had a falling-out many years previous.

I enjoyed reading this book - the writing was very good and I was curious to find out what the story was behind the end of the women's friendship. The interpersonal interactions and character development was incredibly well-done for as short a book as this was. I also thought the resolution was fairly good and appreciated the narrator's explanation of why the story ended where it did. What most struck me about the story was how one event in someone's life could so strongly define their future.

My only criticism of the book was that while I was reading it I could never remember "what I was in the middle of" when someone asked. Once I finished it, I almost forgot to include it in the blog until I noticed it in the pile of books to go back to the library. I usually like to think that the best books are memorable, and this one was not.

No comments: