Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Miscellany

We are back from Portugal and adjusting to our re-entry. Vacation was wonderful and I am pretty sure from a non-scientific study that there are more bookstores per square foot (square meter I suppose) in that country than anywhere else! And it is always fun to see books I recognize in a foreign language. Plenty of reviews to follow - I read all four books I brought with me.

Reading Rainbow is ending, after 20+ years of bringing books to kids via television. Despite the irony, I liked the show as a kid and had a heck of a crush on Levar Burton. But you don't have to take my word for it.

Obama's vacation to Martha's Vineyard has been in the news a lot here in Boston. I just saw a list of the books he brought with him: George Pelecanos's "The Way Home," Richard Price's "The Lush Life," Tom Friedman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded," David McCullough's "John Adams" and Kent Haruf's "Plainsong."

No comments: