Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Dad bought this for me the day it shipped and I just got around to reading it. I am on vacation from work this week so I breezed through the 450+ pages. It was recognizable as a sequel to Brown's other books starring Robert Langdon - fast-paced and written with the screenplay in mind.

The story opens with an old friend summoning Langdon to Washington DC to fill in as a guest speaker at a large conference. When he arrives there he soon finds out that there are other motives behind the invitation and he is thrust into a time-constrained treasure hunt involving Masonic secrets.

While the book kept my attention and I was interested to know what would happen next, it was frustrating because the puzzles that Langdon has to solve are not ones that the reader can "play along" with. That would have made the book more fun. I seem to remember that frustration from his other books too. Unlike his other books, this one had less of a focus on religion and more on the secrets behind the Freemasons as well as Noetic science, which is loosely the scientific study of metaphysics.

The book was fun and a good vacation read.

No comments: