Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman

Many years ago I read Practical Magic by Hoffman and really enjoyed it - it became a movie in the '90's too - with Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock.  When I saw this book by the same author at the library, I picked it up.

This book is about a family of women, each of whom has a special talent - for example, knowing if someone is lying.  When Stella comes of age and finds out that her talent is clairvoyence, she is put in a difficult situation when she sees her father commit a crime in the future.  Once a series of events comes from this, she goes to live with estranged grandmother, complicating things for her mother.

I liked the mix of supernatural and "normal" worlds - not too science-fiction, but certainly a required element of the plot.  I also liked thought the characters were well-developed and strong.  It wasn't the most memorable book I've read recently, but I did enjoy it.

No comments: