Sunday, June 16, 2013

State of Fear by Michael Crichton

Web bought this book at our library's book sale before a trip he had a few weeks back.  He loved it, so I took it on my last business trip.  Sadly, I did not love it.  In fact, I barely liked it.

This book is about climate change.  It follows the unlikely adventures of a lawyer who is representing a philanthropist who is donating a large sum of money to an environmental charity.  However, soon they are thrust into a chase around the globe after eco-terrorists who are seeking to make an environmental point about global warming.

I didn't mind the far-fetched plot; the escapism of a Michael Crichton book is why I choose it.  However, Crichton used the book - excessively - to the detriment of the story - as a platform for poking holes in global warming.  In barely-disguised dialogue among characters, Crichton debated the science behind climate change.  It was distracting - suddenly I was reading Sophie's World rather than Jurassic Park.

Disappointing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

True about Crichton's agenda but tons of interesting thoughts about global warming all the while. I'm always game for somebody bringing perspective and data to a tough debate!

Anonymous said...

Agreed on the global warming agenda. But I'm always game for someone bringing perspective and data to a debate!