Saturday, October 12, 2013

Review: The Reeducation of Cherry Truong: A Novel


The Reeducation of Cherry Truong: A Novel
The Reeducation of Cherry Truong: A Novel by Aimee Phan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I found this at the library and it was good. The story is about a Vietnamese family spread between the US, France, and Vietnam. The title character Cherry grows up in the US but the story goes back two generations to the Vietnamese War.

The book jumps around in time, which I liked, because there was an element of mystery around how the characters in the present time connected to the characters in the past. The book also interspersed a set of short letters between characters with the chapters; the letters themselves then became part of the plot and not just a device to reveal certain information.

I thought the character development was pretty good, although some of the characters seemed like caricatures. It made me think about the women I know from my nail salon and whether their families and lives were similar to the ones in the book. That is, is this book representative of the multi-generational Vietnamese immigrant experience, or is it just one example experience.

Either way, I enjoyed it.



View all my reviews

No comments: