Sunday, March 02, 2014

Review: The First 90 Days, Updated and Expanded: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels


The First 90 Days, Updated and Expanded: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
The First 90 Days, Updated and Expanded: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels by Michael D. Watkins

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Meh.

I start a new job tomorrow (YAY) and thought this would be good preparation to get back into the work mindset and get started on the right foot.

Some of the book was interesting - it categorized different types of new opportunities (Startup, Turnaround, Accelerating growth, Realignment, Sustaining). Subsequent chapters on setting goals and managing a team and other dimensions referred back to this STARS model.

There were some helpful tips on creating a learning plan, finding different types of people in the organization to help, and getting some quick wins in an area important to your manager. For me the best part was a short assessment than helped me see where some of my blind spots are (finance). I did appreciate the assessments and worksheets scattered throughout the book.

But overall I didn't think anything in the book was rocket science...I would have gotten the same value out of a short article.



View all my reviews

No comments: