Sunday, March 02, 2014

Review: The Racketeer


The Racketeer
The Racketeer by John Grisham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Once again John Grisham does not disappoint. I was part way through [b:Life After Life|15790842|Life After Life|Kate Atkinson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358173808s/15790842.jpg|21443207], hating it, and on vacation...so I chucked it for this and ended up much happier.

The story starts with a federal judge being murdered. An inmate in a white collar prison claims to know the identity of the killer and strikes a deal to provide that information to the feds in exchange for his freedom. The story is definitely not as straightforward as that, but that's at least a starting point.

The book is a fun romp - there's Witness Protection, a love story, a main character similar to [a:Nelson DeMille|1238|Nelson DeMille|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1377030719p2/1238.jpg]'s John Corey, a twisty plot, and about 40 pages where I was completely lost as to what was going on. I flipped back a bunch of pages, reread, was still lost, and soldiered on. The payoff at the end was worth it.

My only criticism was a few paragraphs in a few places where Grisham got on his soapbox around prison reform and legal system reform. But I'll allow him that...as long as he keeps writing books that are fun to read.



View all my reviews

No comments: