Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Review: Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a really good memoir of an incredibly unusual medical condition that Cahalan suffered from as a young professional. She had a sudden onset of strange symptoms that seemed like mental illness, but her family and friends continued to pursue doctors and research and ultimately discovered a specific illness that could be cured medically. She uses a unique combination of medical notes, journals, interviews, and other records to rebuild her story, as she lost a lot of her memory from the time.

I liked reading this book the same way I like reading the "Diagnosis" column in the New York Times. It was interesting to follow her symptoms and see how she was diagnosed. I was shocked by how deliberate and strong her family had to be to pursue the right solutions. And I was sympathetic to her experience, rooting for her along the way.


View all my reviews

No comments: