Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Review: Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina

Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I would give Copeland 5 starts as a person, but her autobiography only earned 3. She is one of the first only black soloists in a major ballet company, and her life is amazing - she began ballet quite late (as an adolescent) but had a natural gift for it. The book tells the story of her discovering ballet and training under several teachers, being pulled between professional success and family as a young woman, and then succeeding as a ballerina at a level few ever reach, particularly black women. I enjoyed learning about her and reading her story, but didn't think the writing was very good. There were parts I would have wanted to know more about that were omitted, and places where more detail or color would have made it a better story. That said, she is an icon and I have a ton of respect for her as a person, so I'm glad I know more about her life.

View all my reviews

No comments: