Monday, January 23, 2017

Review: The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mom recommended this one to me, and I had a great time with it. It was about a small town with an aggressive town council that suddenly gets a vacancy when one of the councillors unexpectedly dies. The story is simple, it just follows the townspeople as they negotiate the empty seat (the "casual vacancy") as well as the current topics up for debate. After lulling you into a folksy story, Rowling starts to nip at you with prejudice, both polite and not, and a set of unexpected events across the town, that come out of this councilman's death. The best part of the book, however, was not even the plot; it was the character development. Boy, did I have a "team" and allegiances, and people I knew I'd like and dislike in real life.

View all my reviews

No comments: