Thursday, June 15, 2017

Review: Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Admission: I missed this book when everyone else read it, 10 years ago. It was like that Sex and the City scene where they wonder why they stopped drinking Cosmopolitans, and realize they stopped "because everyone else started." I thought it was over-hyped self-help so I ignored it.

Big mistake - turns out I loved this book. I reminded me of Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail in its generosity with inner voice, and I felt like I really got to know Gilbert. I wouldn't say she is as good a writer or as calming a soul as Anne Lamott, but she's on the road to that for sure.

The book is divided into three sections. After the end of her marriage, which Gilbert's initiation of doesn't make it any less difficult for her, she travels to Italy and EATS her way to comfort, then India where she learns to PRAY at an ashram, then Indonesia where she falls in LOVE. (Get it?) While there are some boring passages and some hippy-dippy passages about meditation, all in all the book moved pretty quickly and was a lovely memoir.

View all my reviews

No comments: