Monday, June 26, 2017

Review: Half Broke Horses

Half Broke Horses Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Glass Castle is one of my favorite memoirs, so when I tried this book a few years ago and couldn't get into it, I was disappointed. This time around I got into it, and enjoyed it. This book is a "novelization" of Walls' grandmother Lily's life. I went into it hoping to understand how Walls' mother became the woman she was, the neglectful parent depicted in The Glass Castle.

However, I soon forgot that goal and got lost in the wild, wild West of Lily's life. From her childhood on a ranch to her attempts to get an education, her failed first marriage and her unwavering bravery and pluck, every page of this book was engrossing and entertaining. I don't know what it would be like to read this not having read Glass Castle first, though I suspect it would still be good. As a companion book, it's spectacular.

View all my reviews

No comments: