Saturday, September 16, 2017

Review: Rise: How a House Built a Family

Rise: How a House Built a Family Rise: How a House Built a Family by Cara Brookins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I hate when this happens - when someone is strong and brave and interesting, and publishes a memoir that is not well-enough written and edited. This was my issue with Casting Lots: Creating a Family in a Beautiful, Broken World and it's my issue here. Brookins is amazing - she escapes an abusive marriage (which she outlines in flashbacks throughout the book) and decides that what she and her four school-age children need to do is build a house - from scratch - to reboot their lives. And they do. From Sheetrock to flooring to framing, they literally build a house from scratch. I admire her and I loved the story, but I wish the writing had been better - more descriptive about the emotions, and less of a progress log. Brava Cara, but wish I had enjoyed reading about this more.

View all my reviews

No comments: