Thursday, October 19, 2017

Review: One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter

One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter by Scaachi Koul
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Both Lindy West and Jessica Valenti have blurbs on the back of this book, so it was kind of an obvious choice. It is a series of essays by Koul, an Indian-Canadian author who writes for BuzzFeed, HuffPost, and The New Yorker, among other outlets.

At first, I was disappointed. The first few essays were more Mindy Kaling than Arundathi Roy. I found the humor distracting; it undermined her message for me. However, either I got used to her, or her later essays were more serious, because by the end of the book I was enjoying it a lot. Her commentary on race was well-illustrated through her own experience, and that of her young niece, her father, and many other people in her life.

I need to read more intersectional feminists. This was a great start.

View all my reviews

No comments: