Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Review: Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience and Finding Joy

Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience and Finding Joy Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I wish I had liked this book more, because Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead was very influential to me. This book was about Sandberg's unexpectedly losing her husband, how she coped, and how other people can cope with great challenges as well.

Unfortunately the book didn't hit the mark. I spent the entire book feeling pulled in different directions among a memoir, self-help book, and sociological study. I would have been interested in reading any one of the three, but the way the book was constructed, I didn't think it did any of them particularly well.

I understand this may be partially because Sandberg co-wrote this with Adam Grant. If she needed to do that to get through the heartbreaking subject matter, than I'm glad she did - for her. As a reader, the empathy I felt for her loss still didn't make me like the book any more.

One nugget I took with me, however, was the idea that kids with a "growth mindset" were more resilient than those without. It was the first I'd heard of a growth mindset, and it immediately changed how I've been talking to my kids.

View all my reviews

No comments: