Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yes yes yes. I adored this book. I had tried to read it years ago, and didn't get very far, but glad that I read Chabon's wife's recent book A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life, which prompted me to try this again. The story follows two cousins, Clay, raised in the United States, and Kavalier, a magician-in-training who flees Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia. They become fast friends, and partners in creating a universe of comic book characters. The book follows decades of their lives, loves, and business together.

I loved everything about this book - but most of all the storyline. I really enjoyed the depiction of the comic book industry of the 1950's and '60s, Kavalier's magic and escapism, and the love story that runs through the book. I also appreciated the comic-book-like characters and situations sprinkled throughout the book.

Can't wait to read another book by Chabon.

View all my reviews

No comments: