Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Review: The Martian

The Martian The Martian by Andy Weir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was wild! I couldn't put it down. I hadn't seen the movie, although now I am curious to check it out.

The story is about an astronaut on a manned mission to Mars who is stranded there after a major equipment malfunction. The rest of the crew and Mission Control think him dead, but he survives, and begins to figure out if he has the supplies and the time to meet an upcoming mission to Mars and hope for a rescue. This has all the heart, drama, and ingenuity of Apollo 13!

The parts of the book that represent the astronaut's point of view through journal entries, depict a very likable, very smart, and very flawed guy. The rest of the book is told from the point of view of NASA, and their review of what went wrong and how to recover, both personally and politically, from the disaster.

View all my reviews

No comments: