Friday, June 22, 2018

Review: The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that sounds like it is going to be a dry historical tome, and turns out to have as much excitement and intrigue as a Tom Clancy novel. Written in a similar tone and with similar depth as a Laura Hillenbrand book, this is about an underdog rowing team from University of Washington who make it to the 1936 Olympics. Sorry for the spoiler, but it doesn't ruin a thing to know this. I had no idea how much I could get into understanding the sport and strategy of rowing, but I did. Equally compelling were the individual characters profiled in this book. Great read.

View all my reviews

No comments: