Sunday, July 15, 2018

Review: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Despite myself, I liked this book. I avoided it for some unknown reason for several months, while it was everywhere. Then one day saw it at the library and jumped in.

Eleanor is a woman who is stuck in her ways, perhaps on the autism spectrum, and who lives a very regimented life. She misses social cues and is very quick to dismiss people and ideas. When she meets an IT manager at her officer, and they save a stranger's life together, she is suddenly thrust into social situations that cause her to question her perspective, and open her life, just a little, to potential.

This was not the "fun" book its title suggests, no The Rosie Project for example, but it was a great read. Eleanor is a supremely sympathetic character, and it is impossible not to root for her. I hope Honeyman follows this up and tells us what Eleanor is up to now.

View all my reviews

No comments: