Sunday, July 08, 2018

Review: Imperfect Birds

Imperfect Birds Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lamott is my rabbi for many things spiritual (other than my actual rabbi, of course.) I've found her fiction to be uneven, but likable. I really liked this book. It was about a teenager and her relationship with her parents, all three of them flawed. Her mother was particularly relatable - clearly the "Anne" character in the book - she discloses to the reader all her worries and flaws and fears, and has a lovely and (too?) perfect best friend who helps her with them, a husband who loves her, and a relationship with her daughter that is tumultuous and, frankly, kind of terrifying as the parent of a (now) preschooler. Like many of Lamott's books, fiction and not, I found myself wanting to save different scraps of text from the book - phrases and ideas that I loved or gave me the feels.

I just found out that there are two other books about this mother-daughter duo, so I'm off to find those...

View all my reviews

No comments: