Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus III

This was a great book! I had read Dubus' House of Sand and Fog several years ago as part of a now-defunct book club and liked it. However, I had been avoiding this book because it included 9/11 content and while I did enjoy Safron Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I have not otherwise sought out that theme.

Glad I did choose this book though. It's fiction, based on the idea that some of the real 9/11 hijackers were found to have spent time at Florida strip clubs to disguise their devoutness. This book follows several characters through a few days: a hijacker-to-be, the stripper he meets one night, her daughter, her landlady, another patron at the club, and a bouncer.
The characters were all exceptionally well-developed with distinctive voices. The story moved quickly, and the writing was excellent.

No comments: