Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hybrids by Robert Sawyer

I flew through this, the last of Sawyer's three books comprising the Neanderthal Parallax, during our delayed flight to Rochester for Christmas. I really enjoyed both Humans and Hominids, and held off on reading this as long as possible.

Like the previous two books, this is about the characters on both sides of a portal that links our world with that of an alternate world based on Neanderthals' not becoming extinct. In this book, Mary and Ponter work out what it means to be a couple in love across these two worlds.

I enjoyed this book but thought that Sawyer tried to cover too many issues in too short a book. Within the 400 reasonably-fonted pages was an attempt to address our penal system, privacy, homosexuality, fidelity, and a few other big items. While I always appreciate the social commentary science fiction enables, I thought this book could have been better without quite so much of it.

That said, I did like the book and will miss looking forward to more books with these characters.

No comments: