Monday, December 01, 2008

The Regulators by Richard Bachman

I was on a whirlwind tour of several customers with a coworker named Lance when we got to talking about books. Turns out he is a huge Stephen King fan and pointed me towards this book as well as its partner, Desperation by Stephen King, which tells the story from a different point of view.

I really enjoyed this book although it's far from the mainstream fiction that makes up more than half of what I typically read. This book is pure science-fiction with some horror built in. It is gruesome, clever, and creepy. It centers around a quiet neighborhood that begins to experience very strange phenomena one afternoon that quickly escalate into large-scale violence. That description does not do the plot justice, but I don't want to ruin any of the surprises in the story. I had forgotten how good Stephen King's writing can be and it was fun to rediscover him.

I can't wait to get to Desperation to see the other half of the story.

1 comment:

Webster said...

Warren G would be proud.