Monday, April 22, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I thought Meredith had recommended this book to me but she says she hasn't read it yet so I'm not sure how it ended up on my book list.  It was good, though - a creepy mystery story.

The story is about Nick and Amy, an unhappily-married couple who live in Manhattan.  Shortly after moving to Missouri to care for Nick's ill mother, Amy disappears and Nick is accused of murdering her.  Through Nick's narration and Amy's journal, the first half of the book tells the story of their relationship leading up to the current state of affairs.  The second half the book, Nick and Amy alternate chapters, with Amy's part being in the present.

Neither Nick nor Amy is entirely honest with the reader, which is part of what makes this book so good.  I love unreliable narrators.  Whether he killed Amy is the least of what becomes interesting in the story.

Definitely enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down at times.  I didn't love the ending but I did like the book in its entirety.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it was me that recommended this one. Glad you liked! Next time you are looking for that kind of read I would recommend Reconstructing Amelia -- it's basically Gone Girl meets Gossip Girl. Also just read The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer which was great.

Unknown said...

I think it was me that recommended it. Glad you liked! Next time you are looking for a similar read, try Reconstructing Amelia. Basically Gone Girl meets Gossip Girl. Also just finished The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer which was really good.